14 January 2007

Cars on Ice

All the snow & ice that's been hanging around finally reared its ugly head at me yesterday. In my 13 years of driving, I've driven in snowy & icy conditions enough to know how to handle myself, my car, & to know when conditions warrant locking the door and staying at home. In this storm we've been fortunate in that the main roads have been kept clear & dry (for the most part), making driving far less treacherous than the winter storm we had in November.

Yesterday, I went to renew my driver's license (my birthday is on Tuesday - yikes!) and after I was done, decided I wanted to stop at Starbucks to get a latte. I pulled slowly into left hand turn lane & gently applied my brakes. Time slowed down, the wheels stopped turning, but my car did not stop moving. I collided into the car in front me, causing that car to bump into the car in front of it. In the years I've been a licensed driver, this is the first time I've been the one behind the wheel in an auto accident.

While the experience fell something short of pleasant, I felt fortunate in that damage was so minimal to the other car that the police said it did not warrant an accident report. No one was injured. There was no discernible damage to my own car. The others who were involved in this with me were gracious, understanding it was not negligence on my part, but the slippery ice that was the primary culprit in the collision. I was not given a ticket. The representatives I spoke with at my insurance company were not just civil, but even pleasant to deal with.

Given the circumstances, I believe it is the best I could hope for. For someone with perfectionistic tendencies however, it came as a blow. But God is good. I am continually amazed how & when He chooses to reveal Himself, turning even a "bad day" into a blessing. Mom & Dad came to the rescue, bringing my currently carless boyfriend to me. I was surrounded by people who love me & was reminded of how fortunate I am to have them in my life & to realize (as cheesy as it may sound) that it really will all be okay.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about this news, Kirsten, but am glad with you that it turned out okay. I especially loved the part about your parents bringing Jordan to you. That was just so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten, I'm so glad you were okay. It is amazing how life can change in an instant. . . thankfully this was just a reminder of the fragility of life, and not a demonstration of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to keep reminding myself that it WILL be OK. Thank you both for your encouragement! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all are so touchy-feely.

    I maxed out our insurance coverage and am driving like a madman. I like the rush.

    (In case you're wondering, I'm mostly just kidding.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan? Kidding? NO WAY!

    Thanks though. Sometimes I let myself turn into such a basket case over things like this ... humor pulls me out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the exact same thing in December, and God made the best out of a poopy situation. I am so glad that your situation turned out okay - mine ended up costing me $700 out of pocket - to fix my car, and the lady's car who i bumped, but i am thankful that no one was injured, and i realized the importance of putting on my studded snow tires - makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete