24 October 2008

things i'll miss about bellingham #6-10

mount baker
mount baker


6. Boulevard Park. This is one of my places to read, to enjoy a latte at The Woods, to walk, to talk to God, and to be. This is where, in the summer, I'll take a blanket and place it in on the grass near the water's edge and listen to the ocean waves lap against the rocks just feet from where I sit. This is where God and I have had some tearful conversations and where, more than any other place I know, I feel the space to breathe when I feel most hemmed in.

7. Views of Mount Baker. Though I know that God is not localized to any particular place, I've often thought of this mountain as the place where God lives. I can't see this without thinking of Him. On a clear day, I can see this mountain in my rearview mirror as I drive to work. Whenever I go there, I'm reminded of His grandeur and majesty. When I'm here, I find it impossible that people don't believe that there's a God and that He's so, so good. I'm awe-inspired, I'm humbled, and I'm thankful. When I can see the mountain, my heart is calmed.

8. My book club. Ana, Jessica, Marie, Beth, and I have been book-clubbing it together for a little over three years now. We're an odd mish-mash of people and though all incredibly different, we all just worked well together. We rarely agreed on what we read together, but I'm going to miss our monthly meetings: their presence, kindness, intelligence, and conversation.

9. My naturopath. A person who utilizes physicians as much as I do has come across her fair share of the ones who just don't care and has learned to hang on to the good ones. Dr. W is one of those people for whom I will gladly make the 100-mile drive to Bellingham. While I'm certain the Seattle area is chock full of fantastic naturopaths (due in large part to the presence of Bastyr University, I think), I have a good relationship with this one. He listens, he makes me laugh, and he knows my story. His partnership has been invaluable to my overall well-being and I can't imagine another like him.

10. My chiropractor. Dr. M has been my chiropractor for over eight years. After seeing him at least every other week for this period of time, he is another who knows my story, considers my health holistically, and (as I often joke with him) doubles as a good psychotherapist. He laughs even at my dumbest jokes and has such a tender heart. I appreciate so much how much care he displays for every person who walks through his door.

5 comments:

  1. You don't know how hard it is for me not to respond with a list of "things I'll love about living in Seattle/etc" - but I know its important for you to be able to express all the fabulous things there are about bellingham - I love it there. And I know you've been there for a long time now, and you've really gotten plugged in.

    I thought about you on my date this past weekend - the guy went to Biola for his freshman year - he's 34 though, so you wouldn't have known him. We are going out again this weekend - to the pumpkin patch - yay!

    I am going to make pumpkin banana bread tonight, and make hot cocoa in a thermos for our adventure tomorrow - look at me being all fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how strong a hold place can take on our hearts. Grieve gently....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am starting to miss bellingham...and i don't even live there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say that I wish I would have made my list of things I would miss about Bellingham/Washington when I moved! I will say that there is no place like Boulevard! It's a special place, where I too have had many o' conversations with the Lord, read good books and just enjoyed the space to be and breath! You will miss it, but I'm thankful for you that you can drive up...enjoy Chuckanut along the way...go visit your family and your church and even take some time to rest often.
    I will pray for balance of sadness, joy and anticipation during this time of transition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kirst, is Boulevard Park the place we went that goes along the water? The place with the bridge that ends up at The Woods? I loved reading how special that place has been for you for so long. I can just imagine you trekking over there when your heart needed some space to speak up and speak out and feel God listen.

    ReplyDelete