24 November 2009

studio work

Yesterday, the friendliest of UPS men brought a long-anticipated and very large package to my door. Yes, friends -- it is the studio equipment I ordered last week (which, by the way, was a mad screaming deal on eBay). In spite of my excitement that it had finally arrived, I was game for a nap after a long day at work. But when James started opening the box and removing plastic wrappers, I became positively giddy and couldn't resist getting in on the action.

setting up the lights

Part of the reason I ordered it (aside from the sheer mad screaming-dealness of it all) was the work I'll be doing with Help Portrait on December 12 with other (mostly amateur) photographers in the greater Seattle area. But also because it's no secret I want to turn my love for shutter and lens and all those things they capture into a way to generate some income. This purchase seemed like a logical step.

And did I mention the mad screaming deal I got? Before you roll your eyes (again) at me making a big deal of this, let me just say that just for kicks and giggles, we searched the web for comparable kits from other sites. Um yeah ... we could have paid $600 more for the same stuff. We're talking umbrellas, lightbulbs, stands, backdrops, backdrop frame, and so on. And it's not as if what came out of the box yesterday was some low-grade equipment made out of cardboard and paperclips. It's good, sturdy, solid stuff.

Anyhoo ...

You know I couldn't resist playing, don't you? You knew that once that backdrop was up, I couldn't resist hamming it up. Hopefully the evidence does not disappoint your suspicions.

61/365: testing, testing ...

Yeah, this is going to be fun!! And you must also know there's more where that came from. (wink, wink)

And in other oh-my-gosh-this-girl-is-obsessed-with-photography related news, I recently had my first sale on RedBubble!! I made a profit which will not even suffice to buy me a double-tall soy latte at Starbucks, but it's a start. Someone spent their hard-earned cash on pictures I took and that's validating for someone who longs to make a career out of making art. James says this sale makes me a professional (and I'm thinking, yeah, a professional who can't even buy a latte), but it is something, isn't it?

4 comments:

  1. LOVE that you've taken this step, but I love more how happy you are having taken it. And speaking as one who fully embraces the fluidity of the word "professional" (though when it comes to writing, not photography), I applaud you. In a related note, I was glad to find out I could buy photos on RedBubble. Felt a little silly, but good to know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! Congratulations, my friend! What a terrific find. It's been a blessing to me to see your life take greater root in photography and to see you play and have fun with it ... and also produce some marvelous, beautiful images.

    Is it okay to ask which image was the first purchased?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies!! It's been a blast and I look forward to developing more in this area.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirstenmichelle/3953306022/

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirstenmichelle/4040708919/

    SO excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the creativity this inspires!

    ReplyDelete